OK. I think Facebook has been around long enough for us to get a few things straight. Here’s my list of a few simple rules to make life less annoying and embarrassing. Obviously, check your privacy settings, especially for photos. But here’s my list of other stuff:
1. Never “unfriend” ANYONE. Just hide them from your news feed.
2. The ambiguous status requiring a ‘what happened’ response. Just stop it. It looks needy.
3. Calling people out, insulting people, complaining about people. It’s rude.
4. If you want to be inappropriate don’t friend your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, coworkers, and boss. You should probably only have a dozen friends if you can’t control yourself.
5. Expressing your lovesick heart to 487 friends when everyone knows who you’re referring to. You’re embarrassing him/her as well as yourself.
6. Political views. I don’t want to discuss politics on Facebook. Calling the leader of the “other” party evil or stupid makes no sense. You’ve just insulted approximately 50% of your friends.
7. Reposting of heartfelt pleas to raise awareness for bullying. Sure, why not. The rest of them? DONATE MONEY. Stop fooling yourself that you’re a great person for sharing a status about cancer because it supposedly raises awareness. I think we’re all pretty aware that cancer sucks. Write a cheque instead.
8. The back and forth comment fight makes you all look stupid. Why are you debating publicly on Facebook? The deterioration is complete when you start to correct each others spelling.
9. Follow George Takei. Other than the occasional picture from friends, this is about the only entertaining thing left on Facebook. Most of my friends don’t even bother updating a status more than twice a year. We just share humorous photos & cartoons.
10. No, I don’t want to play bubble blitz with you.